Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Swimming Sensation, Allison Schmitt


This story, next to the Keeler story was my biggest at the Free Press. Terrance Collins (A big editor in sports who controls Prep Crew work in the fall) assigned me to the story. I had to work extra long and hard on this to impress him so I could get a job back at the Freep in the fall. I started out calling Colony Swim Club to get information on who I needed to talk to. After calling three different numbers, I finally got ahold of someone who could help. I was told to come out to a swim practice on a Friday at 8 a.m. in Canton. I was thrilled... Went out to Colony that Friday and talked to the head coach of Canton High School and Colony swim teams Ed Weber about Allison and her accomplishments. I didn't have to ask many questions because Mr. Weber liked to talk and gave me most of his quotes with no questions. I talked to a few members at Colony and called another swimmer who swam with Allison to get some extra quotes. The story was published and Mr. Collins was happy. I will now be working back at the Free Press during the fall football season as a Prep Crew member.

No comments: